CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

He Stole My Heart






This puppy randomly wandered into the Tsaotun shelter on Sunday while we were cleaning it. Supposedly this little guy's brother/sister was found dead nearby. He was scared and has white warts all over his underside if I remember correctly.

We have to keep him in the cage because the other dogs in the shelter are a lot bigger and could really hurt the little guy. The shelter's caretaker, another volunteer and I took turns holding him and cuddling him before putting him in the cage. We also fed him and gave him water.

The one volunteer asked me if I could take it home but there is absolutely NO WAY that I can no matter how much I want to (And BELIEVE ME!!! I WANT TO!!!!!) First, my landlord forbids ANY pets. 2. I work late morning like 11:00 to 10:00 at night...Tuesdays and Fridays, I am gone from 9am to 10pm because of Chinese class and work. I live on the 7th floor in the TINIEST studio apartment. I am leaving for Thailand for a couple daysin October and will be in Holland visiting family at Christmas and refuse to leave a dog anywhere besides someones house and noone would watch him for me anyway...plus NO money!

I hate myself for not taking him home!!!! But...everything is against me...I have been crying every night just thinking about him all alone in that rusting cage with noone to cuddle with...

And the worst part is...he reminds me SO MUCH of the family dog, Bogart, which just rips my heart even more!!!!

So I have been putting flyers at all three of my schools so that someone could take him to a vet and could give him a loving home!! I have been on Facebook trying to find someone who can help!!


As for Tsaotun shelter...it is getting worse. My biggest worry is the cages. They are rusted, falling apart and are soo uncomfortable and unhealthy for the dogs. The dogs need cleaned, the ticks removed and flea sprayed, but usually we only have energy to cut the grass (by hand using sickles and shears) and to clean the floor which has poop and hair...of course! As well as clean the food and water bowls...

The lady who takes care of the shelter does what she can but trust me, she does NOT look like she's rolling in money (no offense). On Sunday, there were 6 of us there, but that still didnt seem like enough people!! Besides, the Taiwan heat in August makes everything harder!

The shelter is in dire need of help. I applaud this woman for having this shelter for the dogs when so many Taiwanese are uneducated about animal welfare. I have heard so many horror stories of how animals are treated here. People here are very uneducated. For example, I went to the Jing Guo park one Sunday where TUAPA hold their pet adoption event every Sunday. The person I was with wanted to feed one of the dogs "pearls" (tapioca balls) from his Pearl Milk/Bubble Tea. I had to tell him dogs CANNOT eat that! It is not good for their stomach. That worried me...He had also told me stories where I wondered if he and his family were fit to have a pet. He didn't do it out of cruelty, it was just plain ignorance.

I also heard stories of Taiwanese kids putting rubber bands around dogs noses..or people doing it for whatever asinine reason and then the dog's nose is amputated or what not because the rubber band cut off its circulation. People really are stupid and terrible sometimes.

Sooo...with all this in mind..I REALLY want to find this puppy a loving home, but I'm scared that a family is going to leave him right where he was when he wandered into the shelter-scared, alone and sick. I wish I could take him away from all that and keep him and cuddle with him every night, but unfortunately I am not sure that situation would be better with my working long hours and such.


So please! Someone help him!!! Give him a loving home!!! Let him cuddle with you on the couch and give him the love and attention and fun and nourishment he needs...PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I am on hands and knees!



One last note...I deeply apologize for my ridiculously potty mouth in the last post. I've been stressed about work and frustrated with people. I guess I had been holding it all in and it just came out in a very stupid and negative way. Not to mention HIGHLY UNprofessional. I'm very sorry if I offended anyone and will try to be less rude in the future. But..I don't want to delete the post as it is a part of my life and think it is silly to do such.
(Plus my mom gave me a lecture about it and Mom knows best-haha!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bre, I am crying right along with you! My heart is breaking for that little puppy! I am so sorry that we aren't able to adopt him either. I so hope you can find someone. I do want to help with the shelter, though. I will talk to you about that next time we talk, ok? You are still my little "Tenderheart". Love you and miss you lots!

Life as an Expat in the Netherlands said...

Bre, can't wait to see your new haircut!! It will be soo worth it. I am also excited that you are coming home for Christmas and so are your Mom and Rich! Can't wait to see you! Martha

Anonymous said...

Wo ist der Hund? Ist das ein Tierheim? Meine Eltern haben vor ein paar Tagen auch ein Hund aus dem Tierheim geholt!Er kuckt so traurig, da würde ich bestimmt auch überlegen!Hab aber leider auch keine Zeit für einen Hund!LG