CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Clash of Culture; The Conclusion

So, we had a meeting yesterday about Tsaotun.

It was intense at first! We were emotional (especially me since my "Aunt Flo" is visiting) and they were were emotional. We have our beliefs and they have theirs.

They told us that in one shelter they help, people will throw puppies and dogs over the fence at night. They always see dead puppies in the shelter yard or dead dogs because they were thrown over.

There are even some people who put poison in dog and feed it to street dogs


People are horrible creatures and you wonder why I am so emotional about this. Other animals don't kill each other for fun or a "rush"! Dogs don't torture other animals simply because it is "bored"! Dogs have basic needs and instincts and only kill out of self defense for themselves, for food or whatever. Dogs give people love. loyalty and care. If they are mean it is because you are doing something that is making them scared or nervous or probably because some asshole treated them badly. They are just protecting their best interests is all.

For a while it seemed like we were going in circles. And I couldn't understand half of it because my Chinese is so limited (am considering Chinese classes every day for the extra exposure) and this was making me even more upset (I'm sure everyone else,too) because I was so afraid we wouldn't come to a positive decision...

But in the end we did!

So we will keep going to Tsaotun and helping them as long as they give the dogs the medical treatment they need and if there are problems they contact us. That's why we are here!! To help!!

I think this purely a clash of culture. They think one way. We think another. We just need to find a way to mesh so that we have the best interest for the dogs and so far I think it was successful!

Sooooo....
My friends, the other volunteers, said they would help me find foster homes for the puppy"Toetje" as long as I take him to the dog park on Sunday and keep finding ways to get him adopted!! Since it is IMPOSSIBLE during the week, I have committed to the weekend because this puppy NEEDS to get out of the cage and start living in homes! I can't wait to walk him in the park..in a way he kind of reminds me of Bogart when he is happy so it will be good!

I am also going to walk Dai Dai on Saturdays still as planned! It is not only for the dogs, but for me. I think it is good for me because I can get out, get some fresh air and it is good therapy because Dai Dai always makes me laugh and I'm sure Toetje will too and laughter is the best medicine. Plus, this is motivation for me to get them into a LOVING home!!

I am so grateful for that, really, because I joined this group not only to make friends with people who I have something in common with, but to also help these dogs!! And if I didn't/don't save the puppy then I'm a failure (in my opinion)!! I am afraid of failure.

After the meeting, we went to a nearby pub and had a couple drinks. I had an Erdinger because it's Oktoberfest in Germany and a Weissbier sounded so damn good and it was!! I actually don't drink in Taiwan much so one beer and I was drunk. But it was nice to talk to everyone! Learn where they are from, who they are (besides dog and cat lovers), their family and all that. It was what we needed and they have become my friends (and I hope I have become theirs).

I really feel positive about the future. It's going to take extra hard work (since this isn't our job-we all have day jobs), sweat, tears and a LOT of research(on MY part) to make it better but I know we can do it!

It was quite obvious last night that we ALL care deeply and caring is one step toward a great and positive future!

I will leave you with a quote:
"One who works with you is equal to ten who work for you."
-Taro Gold "Open Your Mind, Open Your Life"

0 comments: