CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Moon Festival Weekend

OK, so my internet was down for a few days but now it is up...

Tuesday was the Mid-Autumn/Moon Festival. This is a long weekend starting Friday night and ending with the Moon Festival Holiday on Tuesday. This is a time when families reunite, eat barbecue, sing KTV (karaoke), and eat Moon Cakes of all different shapes and flavors.

Although I didn't get to spend this time with my family, it turns out that I was introduced to the parents of boyfriend's family. It was unexpected for me as I didn't think I would be meeting them that day, but it happened. And of course, they only speak a few words of English, but that isn't a BIG problem for me as I try to find a way to communicate although there are and will be a lot of awkward silences...and eventually I will speak Chinese (as it is my goal) so if things work out, then I will be able to communicate.

As I was talking, his mom was analyzing me as any significant other's mother would (My mom does it as well, but she is such a sneaky devil she has her own way of doing it :) ) And of course asked if I could cook (Like any traditional mother asks) and unlike my answer in Germany (where I said I could only make spaghetti and stir-fry which horrified my ex's mom especially since I'm part German and should be cooking Kassellar Rib, Saurkaut, Linsen suppe, etc, etc, etc) I told them that I like to cook, but am not very good at it..actually I told Boyfriend a while ago that I would love to watch his mom cook so that I can learn to cook truly Asian/Chinese/Taiwanese. So then she took me into the kitchen and showed me how to make Papaya Milk-SO EASY!!! They also had "Pineapple Cakes"which I tried as well!

And like every weekend, I tried new foods: different barbecue foods, Tea Egg (Egg boiled in black tea if I'm not mistaken-looks scary, but tastes pretty OK), some more Hot Pot, Asian Sweet Potato, Taro, Korean Sesame Buns, etc, etc, etc.

As for Tuesday-the actual Moon Festival..boyfriend had to spend it with family (which they sang KTV and ate and etc) and I stayed home, did my lesson plans and did something that I haven't actually done in a loooooooooooooooong time..."Me Time." I watched movies and anime (they have a 24 hour anime channel!!!!) and it was so nice!


As for teaching, I have been worried if I will actually be a good teacher, but I am SLOWLY getting into the routine. Yesterday is usually one of my challenging upper level classes, but it turned out OK! Today or tomorrow is Teacher's Day (Confucius) so I bought a bunch of small packages of European chocolates (Fererro Rocher, Kinder, Toblerone, French Truffles, etc) for VERY inexpensive to give to the teachers at my branch as a thanks...
They even have these Lindt Dark Chocolate with Orange thin wafers that I fell in love with in Holland AND Andes Cherry Jubilee mints!!! So of course I bought them!!! I ate a couple last night and it tasted like home :)


OH! One last thing...Saturday, Boyfriend and I ate at a Greek Restaurant by my apartment...boyfriend has never had Greek food (or he claims that if he did he wouldn't know the difference-haha!) and I am craving tomatoes like crazy so we ate there and it was soo good! Except...if you wanted a SMALL bottle of J.P. Chenet wine (Mom, you know it because they sell it at KingsAlMarkt for only about €1) you'd have to pay NT$380!!!! Which is €8,30!!!!!!! So needless to say we drank water ;)

OK now I really need to work on my lesson plan!!! :)

So that’s it for now…dai hui jian!! :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the Greek restaurant you mentioned? Is it better than Uzo?

Geoffrey