CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Doctors in Taiwan...

are EVERYWHERE!!

In my neighborhood alone, I have 3 dentists, 1 gynecologist/OBGYN, 2-3 general medicine clinics, 1 dermatologist (right next to my apartment building, I might add) and these are only the ones within walking distance!!

Health, medicine and insurance are quite different than from Holland, Germany and the U.S. You can buy birth control over the counter (and cheap!) A package of birth control pills would normally cost me US$30(NT$910, €19) each packet each month...Here you can buy one package(over the counter i.e. NO prescription) for NT$160 or US$5.30 (€3,30)!!!

Also when you have your insurance card, you can step in almost any clinic, pay about NT$100-NT$150(US$5/€3) and get 3 days worth of medicine. But they don't put them in the containers we are used to. They put them in little bags connected so you know which ones to take and when(most of the time)...Which makes it seem like you have a black hole of medicine...never ending!

And even though I mentioned this in a previous post, I will mention it again...I had a benign (harmless) tumor on my back for years and never had the health insurance or money to get rid of it. Once I came here, I went to the hospital and they lopped it off for me (OK OK they didn't just "lop it off") for only NT$300!! I was only in the operating room for about 20-30 minutes!! Now I just have a teensy weensy scar there and couldn't be happier!!

So, you are probably asking, "So what's your point? Why are you writing about this?"

I will get to that point.

Well, OK...I don't really have a point per sé...just a story. I went to a clinic by my house on Saturday because I have been sick with a cold and have been panicking that I might be spreading that Enterovirus(harmless to adults, but fatal to children) to my students. I've had a tiny bit of diarrhea (which I'm sure you LOVE hearing about that!! ;) ) the other good thing about doctors in Taiwan is that they can speak English although they understand mostly medical English.

When I went in to see the doctor, he asked me about me and when I told him about how many languages I could speak, he started singing in German (which kind of sounded like a nazi propaganda song from WWII which made me laugh and disgusted at the same time...I'll explain why later) So I told him what was wrong (cold, stuffy nose, sore throat, diarrhea, etc.) and he told me to stay away from air conditioning (HA!!! That's almost impossible considering Summer in Taiwan is the friggin HOTTEST!!!!!), to drink Super Supau (A sports drink) and...

"More exercise and sunshine"


.
.
.
.

"kyang" ( a noise Taiwanese make when something funny, embarrassing or ironic happens..in this case it was all three for me)

Boyfriend has been getting on my case about "more exercise" and there are times where we have had flat out arguments(and times where I told him to piss off) because I always feel like he thinks I'm too fat even though he INSISTS that is NOT the case(Although, his mother thinks I'm too fat and too short-how hypocritical and cruel is that?!?)...

But...it's a sign...and Boyfriend and Mr. Doctor are completely and totally right...I really DO need more exercise!! It's not about how fat I might be or might not be...it's about being healthy, raising my confidence and being...ACTIVE!!! I've been INactive for so long that I keep putting off being active for fear of...fear itself I guess...

Anyways, Doctor gave me a shot for my 3-4 month old cough. In all honesty though, I think the pollution here is a big part of my breathing problems even though Mr. doctor insists on the exercise and sunshine and the *gasp* avoidance of air conditioners.

So yesterday, I was feeling really loopy while teaching because of my medicine. I didn't feel like myself...I felt drugged even though it had been HOURS since I took the medicine. It was so embarrassing and I was praying that I wasn't freaking my students out. But it went away thank god, but then after I ate I had the stomach cramps again...I just can't win when it comes to health here.

Also, my urine is the color of orange kool-aid thanks to that medicine which makes me NEVER want to drink orange soda again :(

Another issue is when diarrhea is involved, how do you give your doctor the "Poop Report" without grossing him out or sounding utterly silly?? I found myself laughing while I was giving him my "Poop Report" although he was clearly NOT amused! haha!

The thing is, I'm not really that sick, but ever since I came to Taiwan, I am not very healthy..or maybe I wasn't very healthy to begin with (due to my INactivity the past couple years) and now going to the doctors is showing it...

Oh yeah and Mr. Doctor is injection happy!! He gave me yet ANOTHER shot today on my arm for the diarrhea! I have had three injections in the past week...the first one was to take blood for my residence renewal(health check-up), the other one was from Mr. Doctor for my disgusting Grandma hacking cough and today for my diarrhea...I'm afraid to go next time because of what other shot he is going to give me!!! (But, the injection for my cough has been working so I shouldn't complain).


On another note, two weekends ago, Boyfriend and I went to Gao Me Shi Di高美溼地 a.k.a the Gao Mei Wetlands in Cingshuei (Taichung County). Boyfriend has yet to send me the awesome pics we took of the wetlands and of the sunset, so here is a beautiful pic from someone else of how they look:


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2314772858_fee376b4be.jpg?v=0
It was so much fun!! Boyfriend and I splashed in the water and mud and watched people having mud fights! We also rented a small toy bucket and shovel and searched for baby tiny crabs and put them in the bucket. Boyfriend hunted for the crabs and I went seashell hunting to decorate my apartment with!

It was so relaxing, fund and beautiful and the sunset was great!!!!! Then, we walked back and Boyfriend was so happy to have his grilled squid on a stick and I got to have authentic Taiwanese shaved ice with cream, red beans and pineapple!!!! YUM!!! I prefer Taiwanese shaved ice over Coldstone Creamery any day!!

So after that fun time in the water, Boyfriend and I finally booked Kenting!!! We are going to Kenting next weekend for my birthday :) I so happy!!! I don't care what happens as long as we have fun and my diarrhea goes away by then-haha! No, really, I'm serious.

I'll write again soon!

1 comments:

eliyeto said...

hi found you here after worldfriends smile. Za zdarove (to health).

msn? tlan2001@yahoo.com

tobias