CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Feng Jia Nightmarket Might Just Be My Favorite Hangout


Fried GIANT Octopus Tentacle-YUM!!!!
(That's sarcasm, by the way...)



Yesterday, I met a Taiwanese girl for lunch/dinner...we were supposed to go exercising, but my glasses have been giving me a headache (considering they are 5-6 years old and my prescription has changed) and wasn't up to exercise . So we decided to meet at the art museum and so I arrived there early (It's a 5-minute bike ride from my apartment) and walked around the park outside of the museum...there were lots of people and lots of sculptures so it was quite interesting! I was the only foreigner in the area and am suprised that I am already picking up TINY Chinese sentences and words and understanding them!!
For example, a woman and her kids were walking by and the woman smiled at me and then said to the kids...."Blablablabla meiguoren" meiguoren=American in Chinese and trust me I was the ONLY westerner there so she was talking about me...but the point is that I UNDERSTOOD what she said!!
I didn't go inside the museum but hope to very soon!! It looks awesome!!!

The girlfrind and I went to a cool cheap restaurant and I had a coconut cream toast (YUM!!!!!!!!!!) and a cranberry waffle and we talked about...what else? Guys :) We get along really well and I think we will be exercising next Saturday! I need more energy!!

So then boyfriend met up with us and later boyfriend and I went to Feng Jia Nightmarket...he needed his glasses fixed and I need new ones so we stopped in a glasses shop. We both had our eyes tested (FOR FREE!!) and I found a great pair of frames for only €55-60...but with the lenses (and boyfriend's power of bargain-something I NEED to learn here) My glasses AND lenses ended up costing only about €50!!!!!!!!! And boy, my right eyeis getting worse apparently :( But it was so funny, because boyfriend and I had to walk around in the store with these stupid looking optical measurement glasses and we looked so stupid, and couldnt stop laughing at each other!!!!
So my glasses are dark red plastic frames and kind of funky-finally!!! NO MORE HARRY POTTER GLASSES!!!!

Then we walked around the nightmarket and I tried some fried whole crab (still in it's shell) some Thai moon omelette thing( SOOOOOO effin spicy, but good!!) and boyfriend got Turkish Ice Cream...I WISH we would have got it on videotape because this guy was hilarious!! He put the ice cream in a container and mixed it with a long metal pole that was flat at the end...he would use the flat part to scoop the ice cream into the cone, but the ice cream would still stick onto the flat part because it seemed to be of an almost caramel consistency-gooey...so he would have the ice cream and cone hanging from the pole and reached out to give it to boyfriend...all of a sudden it seemed like boyfriend dropped it...but it was still on the pole!! The man kept doing it to boyfriend and it started drawing a crowd...I was laughing soooo hard!!! The look on boyfriend's face was priceless!!! Then we saw the man do it to other people and it was sooo funny!

We also kind of went on a nightmarket shopping spree: this CD/DVD store was closing so they were having a huge sale so I bought (don't worry mom, it's in my budget) Pan Wei Bo's CD and Pride and Prejudice VCD...boyfriend bought some National Geographic travel DVDs as well as Miami Vice and even bought me "It's a Wonderful Life" since it is a Christmas Classic:) The DVD's were only €4-5 if that. I also am in need of clothes desperately since I had to throw most of my clothes in the recycling bins in Holland (they were YEARS old and trashed/ratty and did NOT want to bring them here) so I bought some nice button down professional looking shirts, a black hoodie which ironically has Dutch writing on it and a pair of exercise pants...I probably spent about €30 on all of that.

The Taiwanese always have these arcade places....NOT with video games, but with games like toy cranes, air hockey, those basketball hoop games, Whack a mole, etc etc etc...so then we went into one and boyfriend won a couple of toys(he won me a CUTE stuffed aminal-so romantic..hee hee :) ) and then he kicked my butt in air hockey...and basketball-haha!!

As for today, not quite sure what we're doing...all I know is I have 3 classes to teach tomorrow..thank god they are speaking/oral exams and one "Games Day"

And as for integrating with the people and culture and immersion of the language: I have a nice balance of Chinese and English so that way I'm not wanting to rip my hair out...yet! And I'm meeting some great Taiwanese people here which is making my experience even more positive :)

0 comments: